ddd

Re: Problem Building DDD

From: Andreas Zeller
Subject: Re: Problem Building DDD
Date: 29 Mar 2001 11:03:48 +0200

Hi!

Steven Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to install ddd for my linux system but am having a problem,
> I can't seem to fix.  I'm running linux-mandrake 7.2 on my home PC and
> have gcc as my C compiler.
>
> The error I am having occurs when I run the configure script.  Here is
> the last few lines found in the log file where the error occurs:
>
>             checking for flex... no
>             checking for lex... no
>             ./configure: flex: command not found
>             checking for flex... lex
>             checking for yywrap in -ll... no
>             checking lex output file root... ./configure: lex: command
> not found
>             configure: error: cannot find output from lex; giving up
>             configure: error: ./configure failed for ddd
>
> I have checked the log files and got no real insight into my problem.
> Being a relative 'newbie' to linux, I don't really understand what is
> wrong.  Can somebody helpme?

I have now isolated a possible origin of the problem.  Normally, the
DDD `configure' script (which again is generated from the GNU
`autoconf' and `automake' tools) should set LEX to `missing lex'; the
`missing' program (included with DDD) should realize appropriate
defaults.

In your case, LEX is set to `lex', but I have no idea why this is so.
Do you still have a `config.log' file available which has more
diagnostics?

Andreas

--
Andreas Zeller     Universitaet Passau