ddd

Re: A new maintainer for DDD

From: shaunak saha
Subject: Re: A new maintainer for DDD
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:55:34 -0700

Hi All,

Thanks for your mails.

I will try my best to improve DDD.

Update on developing a new GTK interface to replace the vulnerable Motif front end of DDD:

Peter had dumped a lot of code to the SVN repository, branch "gddd".

However, this was a a developers-only release. It does't work fully, a bunch of error/warning messages, some widgets just don't show up and it will frequently crash.

However, on the bright side, almost all the functions necessary to support DDD have been isolated in a "cross-platform" GUI interface (see the headers in gtkx/GtkX).  Much of this is a direct rip-off of the Gtkmm interface - the implementation for Gtkmm passes through many of the calls and signals one-to-one.

My effort will be to make this more stable(in next one or two months) and then announce a developer-only release to try the gddd branch and report issues and also to submit patches, so that i can make continous improvement on that branch(apart from working on other new features). I feel this aproach will be better than working on making the whole GTK interface stable and then make a release, which will take longer time.

Regards,
Shaunak