demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Account creation documented and some remarks

From: Felix HENRY
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Account creation documented and some remarks
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:54:47 +0200

Hello David and Augustin,

I understand there are technical issues to the problem of logins, however, I am concerned with the complexity of it from the point of view of the user. Once again, the whole point of having a web client is to make it easier for the average (read: not computer-proficient) user to participate in the democratic experience: no software to install, no software updates etc.

So I think it would be a shame if this simpliciy is hampered by the complexity of the account creation procedure. To me one should have:
-a single login/password for the server and for any client (drupal or other, or s/w client). Once again *the average user would not understand the double login*.
-I think any user, once he has got an account, should be able to use the drupal client or the s/w client as soon as his account is alive. There should be no such thing as a user with a server account but no drupal account.

I know this can be difficult because at the moment this involves transmitting account info between drupal and the demexp server. Also this is a problem because account creation can be asked via drupal or to David directly. Why not make it easier and set up a new account request procedure, only via Drupal? The user no longer asks David directly, but instead does all the procedure on the drupal site, and this would be the only way to ask for a demexp account.

It seems to me quite complicated. For me the account manager, I don't
care, but for the user this is a big issue. I'm pretty sure that most
users won't make the difference between Drupal account, demexp account,
account validation, etc.

I fully agree with you.

2. At step (2), when the user receives his password, we should *not*
    provide a way to change the password. The login message should make
    clear that this is only the *Drupal* login. Moreover, in English we
    call the project "the democratic experience" (in lower case). So I
    propose following message template:

"""
Toto,

Thank you for registering at the Drupal interface of the democratic
experience. You may now log in to http://demexp.ouvaton.org/user using
the following username and password:

username: Toto
password: ghjgqsjgds7676G

--  The democratic experience team
"""

I agree but I would not mention the word "Drupal" (remember we're targetting the average user), I would use "web interface" instead.

Once again I understand this may be technically a burden at the moment to handle the account creation, but I think we *must* make it simple if would really want to boost the usage of the web client. Thanks for your hard work!

   Félix