Re:[Denemo-devel] added very basic tranpose staff support

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re:[Denemo-devel] added very basic tranpose staff support
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:14:30 +0100

> There is a problem with it though. The display does not update the
> changes. The changes are in memory so when you print you can see the
> changes. If you save a reload the files the changes take into effect.
> Richard do you know of anyway to fix this? I tried running
> displayhelper(gui) but that did not seem to fix it.
The short answer is no, every time I get near this beast I have to hack away
to get the display to work; displayhelper() is just the start, there are all
sorts of
cached calculations about how to lay out things, and there is (as I recall)
even one
call to a function that occurs only in response to the expose event of the
scorearea - I
recall having to dig that out and call it for something I wanted the display to
update.
But while we are hacking at the display routines, bear in mind that gtk does
not mind if you
draw off the edge of the viewable area, so we should take advantage of this to
display
one more measure than at present. I say this, because I noticed recently that
if you have a short
measure followed by a very long one (e.g. lots of 64th notes) it will often
only show the first
measure, making you think there is something wrong. It would be better to show
part of the next measure
to fill out the available space, rather than creating the illusion that what
you see is the last
measure so far written.
Having said all that:
At the moment I have just got my system re-installed, and in the process have
lost
my ssh access to the git (sigh!) so I won't be able to build what you have done
until Savannah updates my newly uploaded key. (Well, I could get Denemo via
anonymous thingy,
but I am also near my download limit for the month, having downloaded Debian
twice, trying first
to dist-upgrade and finally re-installing). At the moment, I don't even have
gcc, never mind bison, flex
libaubio and who knows what.
So have patience!