Re: [Denemo-devel] began real transposition script

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] began real transposition script
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:57:28 +0000

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 09:58 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > You need two, one would be the number of diatonic steps, the other
> > something to encode the number of additional sharps/flats.
> >

> I thought of that method you descibed. Unfortunately it won't work
> for
> 12 tone music, hybrid scales or random accidentals.
hmm, are you going to try and encompass a whole bunch of transformations
in one function with some parameters to control it? Like a 12-tone piece
written using all sharps for the accidental notes shifted up a number of
semitones and still written with all sharps?
The tricky case could well still be conventional transposition, and no
function that has just one integer parameter (a number of semitones to
shift by) could perform this task, the information needed is just not
there.