Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:53:32 -0500

On Oct 28, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 16:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

On Oct 28, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
wrote:

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 18:35 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
Its wired up to d-Output-midi-event or whatever it is called. I
really
don't understand the differences between what d-PutMIDI and
d-PlayMidiNote? Is d-PutMIDI any arbitrary midi message?
I think it is just 4 byte messages - it was supposed to be just
passing
midi event from midi in to the midi out, after having intercepted and
modified them - i.e. it was supposed to be the basis for midi
filtering;
but I think it may only deal with 4 byte events (hmm let me look -
yes
that's right, d-PutMidi takes an 4 byte integer and outputs it
Looking a bit further, in fact, despite the name d-PutMidi it drops
all
events except NOTEON which it sends to the pitchentry() routine - i.e.
it is simply acting as a method of entering a pitch, similar to
sounding
into a microphone.
I can see where the code needs changing to make this routine sound via JACK or fluidsynth - I'll do this and see that it works & can check it
in if you would like (it's in pitchentry.c).

Sure. Thanks.
Ok, I have pushed this to git. Only the rhythm feedback sounds are
routed thru portaudio. I would like to improve them but I don't think
just switching to synth piano would help much. I am not getting any
problems using fluidsynth and the portaudio routines together - I even
tried acoustic input (via microphone) with output via synth - each note detected e.g. from a guitar, was sounded as a piano note via fluidsynth!
I don't know whether jack and portaudio would get along so well.
Oh, I should say I typed "alsa" into the preferences under fluidsynth -
we should default to something.  I don't know if this stuff will work
under windows..

There is a function that returns this as a string. It needs to be assigned earlier than it is. Fluidsynths settings are not ready until fluidsynth has initiated so the fnction is returning NULL. Perhaps we wait until the synth starts then launch a function that checks to see if the Denemo.prefs variable is NULL or empty string. If so then assign the default the returned string from the api reference call. This will take little modifaction to do.

I will do this.