Re: [Denemo-devel] playback via fluidsynth

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] playback via fluidsynth
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:57:48 +0000

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 08:40 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:38:13 +0000
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > In fact, we can now think of directly controlling the display advance
> > via the smf_event->user_data field which points back to the chord that
> > should be highlighted. This is great stuff this internal synth.
>
> Would we highlight the note being played in red or some other color?
we could - I think it might be good to draw a vertical line top to
bottom at the correct horizontal position.

> Are we eventually going to load note events into the fluidsynth
> internal sequencer or are we going to continue to feed the events
> into fluidsynth when its the notes time?
I don't know the issues here, but unless we have problems the way we are
it would seem better to keep direct control.
On a releated topic:
I have noticed that I can easily play in notes faster than the immediate
playback mechanism for fluidsynth can cope - not the case with the
non-fluid immediate playback. There is a convoluted path involved here,
involving converting to frequency and then back to midi note number with
logarithms being calculated etc, which all needs streamlining. In the
course of this the pitchentry control panel could go, although a nice
display of the sharpest and flattest notes in use would still be a
requirement.

I have realized that when entering rhythms (before playing the pitches
over them) it would be good to use cross head notes. As it is, I
sometimes end up printing passages which have not in fact been finished,
because it is not easy to see that a passage of repeated notes is not
just that. So I will be fixing this next.

Richard