[Denemo-devel] Midi device manager tree vs/ list

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Midi device manager tree vs/ list
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:38:22 -0600

I have been studying gtklist and treeviews. I was wondering which to use for the midi device manager. I currently put a list template up. Recently I learned how to vreate gtktrees. A list view would have one colum contianing device clients and the other contains ports. In tree view it would look similar to qjackctl's tree.
+Jack:0
-Jack:1
 --Denemo:0

The problem being with the tree view is that users might select a port and select add device. If this happens should a pop up complain that "a port can not be added to a port" please select a device to add a port too. There may be some way to retrive the parent name but I am not sure now. I don't want to spend much more time on this.

My other question is would a user expect to select a port name and then be able to delete that one? If so and the port was in the beginning of the list. then I would have to keep the string of names remaining but delete the last Jack port then rename all Jack ports. Would this cause any problems? I guess it wouldn't if staffs midi is not trying to write to ports via number but by name somehow.