Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi device manager tree vs/ list

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi device manager tree vs/ list
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:59:14 +0300

Jeremiah, from a user perspective, it would more suitable to have
ports as a "sub-tree" of a device.

Device_jack_1
+ port1
+ port2

Device_jack_2
+ port1
+ port2

alternative with port names:

Device_jack_1
+ 1st_violins
+ 2nd_violins

Device_jack_2
+ flute_1
+ flute_2

When the user removes port "1st_violins", the rest of the ports should
keep their port names, as jack can read these (as an alias),
regardless of their position in the sub-tree.
so the 2nd violins port in this case remains as the 2nd violins port,
as a subtree of Device_jack_1.

Users should only be able to add ports to devices, and not be able to
add ports to ports. With the above suggestion, it's my view you would
avoid this happening, and negate the need for a popup.

Alex.