Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:15:46 +0000

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 16:56 +0000, alex stone wrote:
> >> Not wrong at all. Outside world doesn't need to know. Provided Jack
> >> can read the client data for global device/port preferences when
> >> Denemo starts up,
> >
> > These don't match - the ports are just a list of names inside denemo
> -
> > correct. So what would it mean that "Jack can read..." ? - we aren't
> > inputting from jack, we output to it. And I was asking do we need to
> do
> > anything about this list.
> > Richard
> >

> Sorry, my error in interpretation. No, the list is the list, and
> that's it. Denemo devices and ports will simply appear as jack
> clients, when Denemo is started, yes?

still no understanding here. If it is just a list nothing will "simply
appear as jack clients", we will have to pass the list to jack for that
to happen.

Thinking about it: in Jack I see three tabs each has a list of lists,
which it seems is called a list of clients each with its list of ports
(judging from the heading in qjackctl).
So - trying to make a match here - what Alex and Jeremiah have set up is
a list of devices each with a list of ports, which I think means that
"devices" is synonymous with "clients".

What is not obvious is why you have more than one device/client. But
perhaps I don't need to care - up to the user how he distributes the
staffs amongst ports inside devices...