Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:34:25 +0000

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 13:10 +0000, alex stone wrote:
>> Richard,  i see where you're going with this.
>>
>> The user creates an "industrial grade" preference list of devices and
>> ports at a global level.
>> At project level, the user then picks and chooses which ports he
>> wishes to use per staff, and saves that project. The next time the
>> project is open it remembers which ports it wants and only uses those,
> what is the nature of the "uses"? When the .denemo file is loaded, if a
> staff has a port/device name field filled in what Jack interaction
> should take place?
The client port name should be constant. I.E. If global preferences
says "1st_violins:0" then the project staff in which you have
previously nominated this port, should get it again.

> And what should happen if the staff's port/device name field is
> un-related to anything that has been found in the user's prefs? (As
> would happen if you had created a file and sent it to me, unless we had
> both previously agreed on our prefs for devices/ports).
Then the staff properties, having failed to find a port that matches
the saved port name, should revert to "NONE".
Sending you a file, unless port designations had been previously
agreed, would have the same challenge as other multi port projects,
like DAWS, for instance. I faced this for many years working with
Cubase, and Logic. There will inevitably be some additional tweaking
required.

> If you want to create a "project" then you would need to save the
> device/port information along with the music; but then when you loaded a
> new piece of music you would have the devices all coming and going
> again.
The device/port info should be saved with the project. And for a new
session, if the global preferences are set in virtual stone, then it's
just a matter of marrying port to staff initially, and saving the new
project. Incidentally, this also raises the idea of permanently
allocated ports per staff, i.e. If i open a new 1st_violins staff,
then that staff will try and select "1st_violins" as a port. Per Staff
Templates? Reasonable idea? Create new score in the wizard, and when
you add a new staff, you name it, and the "template" for that staff
loads the port.

>> but at global level, all ports are "running" and available at all
> I assume "running" does not imply anything has been done at all - these
> ports are just a list of names that has been read from denemorc - ie the
> prefs. Period.

Correct.

> If that is wrong, and the world outside is expecting to have some
> knowledge (via jack) of the existence of this prefs data please say.

Not wrong at all. Outside world doesn't need to know. Provided Jack
can read the client data for global device/port preferences when
Denemo starts up, the rest is in Denemo project space, and up to the
user to sort out.

www.openoctave.org

address@hidden
address@hidden