[Denemo-devel] Localization

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Localization
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:45:04 +0200

Hello, some questions about localization:

1) what is the right way to update localized strings? I'd like to
translate to Italian, but I noticed that po/denemo.pot was last changed
in August 2009, so I guess it would be smarter to first run a
xgettext... but then, I wonder if there is a canonical way to call it,
to be sure to catch everything I should catch

2) I like very much denemo, but I always use the arrows to choose the
notes, never the letters, because I'm Italian, I learned them as "do, re
mi, fa, sol, la, si" and after twenty years using them as "c, d, e..."
is certainly possible but requires some mental effort. Is there any plan
to add support for this "unusual" kind of localization?

I do realize it wouldn't be trivial, since
 - "sol" and "si" both start with the same letter - maybe just binding
"i" or "S" to B (si) would be the best solution
 - more importantly, letters "m" and "l" are already used as shortcuts
by default, so some localization of shortcuts would maybe be required...
- there should probably be some sort of table which binds a locale to
the (default) notes names system (I frankly don't know if there are
others, apart from the anglophone, the "non-german European", and the
"almost anglophone" germanophone)

(I have no idea if and how do commercial softwares solve the problem,
neither if apart from Italian/French)

By the way, this sounds quite complicated, so I guess a good start would
be to just treat notes as regular commands, which have shortcuts that
can be manually changed...

3) is there any plan to use some translation tool such as Launchpad's
Rosetta?  That obviously doesn't imply using Launchpad for other parts
of the development process - however, it almost implies that
translations are done _only_ through it (or life becomes difficult) and
updated (downloaded + committed) before each release... still, I think
it would largely attract translators.

thanks

Pietro