Re: [Denemo-devel] Localization

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Localization
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:19:27 +0100

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 17:45 +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Hello, some questions about localization:
>

> 1) what is the right way to update localized strings? I'd like to
> translate to Italian, but I noticed that po/denemo.pot was last changed
> in August 2009, so I guess it would be smarter to first run a
> xgettext... but then, I wonder if there is a canonical way to call it,
> to be sure to catch everything I should catch
I think one problem will be many strings are missing the _() around
them, and some have _N() around them by mistake, *and* none of the
scheme stuff is internationalized.

> 2) I like very much denemo, but I always use the arrows to choose the
> notes, never the letters, because I'm Italian, I learned them as "do, re
> mi, fa, sol, la, si" and after twenty years using them as "c, d, e..."
> is certainly possible but requires some mental effort. Is there any plan
> to add support for this "unusual" kind of localization?
>
> I do realize it wouldn't be trivial, since
>  - "sol" and "si" both start with the same letter - maybe just binding
> "i" or "S" to B (si) would be the best solution
>  - more importantly, letters "m" and "l" are already used as shortcuts
> by default, so some localization of shortcuts would maybe be required...
> - there should probably be some sort of table which binds a locale to
> the (default) notes names system (I frankly don't know if there are
> others, apart from the anglophone, the "non-german European", and the
> "almost anglophone" germanophone)
>
> (I have no idea if and how do commercial softwares solve the problem,
> neither if apart from Italian/French)
>
> By the way, this sounds quite complicated, so I guess a good start would
> be to just treat notes as regular commands,
they *are* regular commands! See Notes/Rests menu. There are insert,
edit, and modal commands for each note name.

>  which have shortcuts that
> can be manually changed...
>

> 3) is there any plan to use some translation tool such as Launchpad's
> Rosetta?  That obviously doesn't imply using Launchpad for other parts
> of the development process - however, it almost implies that
> translations are done _only_ through it (or life becomes difficult) and
> updated (downloaded + committed) before each release... still, I think
> it would largely attract translators.
All denemo "plans" are on the Todo list ...
Richard