Re: [Denemo-devel] Localization

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Localization
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:36:02 +0200

Il giorno dom, 18/04/2010 alle 18.19 +0100, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 17:45 +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> > Hello, some questions about localization:
> >

> > 1) what is the right way to update localized strings? I'd like to
> > translate to Italian, but I noticed that po/denemo.pot was last changed
> > in August 2009, so I guess it would be smarter to first run a
> > xgettext... but then, I wonder if there is a canonical way to call it,
> > to be sure to catch everything I should catch
> I think one problem will be many strings are missing the _() around
> them, and some have _N() around them by mistake, *and* none of the
> scheme stuff is internationalized.

If, as I seem to understand, there is no "established practice", I will
just try to do my best...

> > 2) I like very much denemo, but I always use the arrows to choose the
> > notes, never the letters, because I'm Italian, I learned them as "do, re
> > mi, fa, sol, la, si" and after twenty years using them as "c, d, e..."
> > is certainly possible but requires some mental effort. Is there any plan
> > to add support for this "unusual" kind of localization?
> >
> > I do realize it wouldn't be trivial, since
> >  - "sol" and "si" both start with the same letter - maybe just binding
> > "i" or "S" to B (si) would be the best solution
> >  - more importantly, letters "m" and "l" are already used as shortcuts
> > by default, so some localization of shortcuts would maybe be required...
> > - there should probably be some sort of table which binds a locale to
> > the (default) notes names system (I frankly don't know if there are
> > others, apart from the anglophone, the "non-german European", and the
> > "almost anglophone" germanophone)
> >
> > (I have no idea if and how do commercial softwares solve the problem,
> > neither if apart from Italian/French)
> >
> > By the way, this sounds quite complicated, so I guess a good start would
> > be to just treat notes as regular commands,
> they *are* regular commands! See Notes/Rests menu. There are insert,
> edit, and modal commands for each note name.

I may certainly be missing something, but as far as I can see, the "D"
command to which "d" is bound is not present in that menu - which
contains instead "Insert D" and "Change to D". This means I cannot
really assign to "r" the current role of "d".

> >  which have shortcuts that
> > can be manually changed...
> >

> > 3) is there any plan to use some translation tool such as Launchpad's
> > Rosetta?  That obviously doesn't imply using Launchpad for other parts
> > of the development process - however, it almost implies that
> > translations are done _only_ through it (or life becomes difficult) and
> > updated (downloaded + committed) before each release... still, I think
> > it would largely attract translators.
> All denemo "plans" are on the Todo list ...

Well, it doesn't say almost anything about translation... but if you
mean that "cosmetic" changes can wait, message received.

Pietro