Re: [Denemo-devel] Melodic Dictation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Melodic Dictation
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 09:19:59 +0100

This is a really good direction to be going in.

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 15:05 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> The second line in the script sets how many notes are in the sudo
> melody.
As well as pseudo-melodies it will be possible to extract short
sequences of notes from a library of .denemo, .midi, ... files. This
would give musical dictations that had a better relationship with actual
music (more natural sequences).

>  Later I want to add rhythms into this. I am considering creating a
> list of verbose lilypond like fis'4 and comparing it to what gets
> notated by created a similar list based off of what is notated then
> compare the lists. The list perhaps could return a list of the
> notenumbers (2nd note, 4th note). This returned list perhaps could
> mark the incorrect notes somehow. If the list is empty then the
> dictation is perfect. I am not sure if there is a better way or not.

We have quite nice scheme procedures for moving the cursor to the start
and doing NextChord and GetNoteName for comparison with the next note in
the melody. Mismatches can then be marked with an X, and so on. (Those
command names are off the top of my head, so probably wrong - but real
examples abound in the d-CreateChordsOverBass script, where the cursor
is moved along the bass line and the MIDI-in is monitored for notes
which are compared with the bass note. Nils may have even more
sophisticated routines available).