Re: [Denemo-devel] Melodic Dictation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Melodic Dictation
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:47:03 +0100

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 14:23 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Can this method be used to dictate the rhythm also?
Drumming in a rhythm and assessing it would be an entire project of its
own. I would vote for leaving that for later. (I am quite doubtful of
its merits. Mechanically good rhythm doesn't need to be taught in the
abstract, it is keeping good time while under other stresses, and the
rhythmic subtleties that lie outside mechanically perfect rhythm which
need to be learnt)

>  About a year ago you mentioned having what is played back to student
> be in another tab. Perhaps on some examples the rhythm can be copied
> over to the.first tab but the pitch remain middle c. Then the student
> corrects the notes.
You won't need anything so fancy to do this. You can store the true note
with say (d-DirectivePut-note-prefix "TrueNote" "cis''")
and set the note to middle C. Then when the user plays a note you get
the prefix field and check if it is right.