Re: [Denemo-devel] soc branch testing.

From: Dominic Sacré
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] soc branch testing.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:47:02 +0200

Hi Richard,

On Monday 25 July 2011 09:46:16 Richard Shann wrote:
> I have just built the latest soc, and played the Bach E-minor suite
> at breakneck speed using -Malsa. The display is page turning now
> without upsetting the audio - very nice to see. I connected my MIDI
> controller to denemo in qjacktl but could not get Denemo to respond
> to it. Is that expected?

MIDI input is currently only implemented for JACK MIDI. But adding MIDI
input support to the ALSA backend is trivial, so I'll get to it right
away. Thanks for the reminder :)

> I guess I should fix my alsa sound - it seems like the same sort of
> disturbance that I heard on the Windows version of Denemo, for which
> the Sample Rate and Period Size tweaks were put in the MIDI tab of
> the preferences. I see these are gone in soc branch though ...

When running as a JACK client, Denemo has no control over the sample
rate and period size. Only JACK itself actually talks to the audio
hardware, and these values are configured in JACK's parameters. Have you
tried experimenting with different settings in QjackCtl?

For the PortAudio backend, sample rate and period size will probably be
back as configuration options in the Denemo preferences dialog.

Cheers,

Dominic