Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font

From: Josue Abarca
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:18:48 -0600

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:41:11AM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> Someone called adrianj on irc #cairo has been really helpful. It seems
> that what is happening is font-substitution. The actual font that has
> the musical symbols is FreeSerif, and if you put

Are you talking about the font that is found in debian systems in:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf ?

> Before we launch into writing code to seek out installed fonts with the
> desired music symbols it seems to me that we should package this font
> with denemo, and work towards dropping denemo.ttf. (We can't instantly
> do so because the highlighting method in the snippets needs
> changing).

It would be great if I can use the "font file" that is already in
Debian.

The file
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf

is part of the package ttf-freefont in debian, and it would be great
if I can do something like:

./configure --use-installed-system-font

The font is already available in Suse[0], gentoo[1], ubuntu[2] and
Debian[3].

> I haven't found the licensing information about FreeSerif but I expect
> it is ok.
>
> Richard

Again assuming that the font is this one in debian:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf :)

then the copyright information is here:

http://go.debian.net/CUz

Or in the the upstream's(original author) web site:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/

It seems to be
Copyright owner: Copyright © 2002-2009 Free Software Foundation.
License: GNU GPL v3 or later

Please always add the copyright owner and license of the files that
are part of denemo to the AUTHORS file, that make the life of the
package maintainer of denemo (me :P) easier .

Cheers.

[0] http://deb.li/3w6LV
[1] http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-fonts/freefont-ttf
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ttf-freefont