Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:41:11 +0100

Someone called adrianj on irc #cairo has been really helpful. It seems
that what is happening is font-substitution. The actual font that has
the musical symbols is FreeSerif, and if you put

(d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic "test" "
ABCDEFG\xF0\x9D\x84\x9E
FreeSerif
66")
(d-RefreshDisplay)

into the scheme window and execute it you see the letters ABCDEFG
followed by a treble clef, which is the \xF0\x9D\x84\x9E bit in the code
above.

Before we launch into writing code to seek out installed fonts with the
desired music symbols it seems to me that we should package this font
with denemo, and work towards dropping denemo.ttf. (We can't instantly
do so because the highlighting method in the snippets needs changing).

I haven't found the licensing information about FreeSerif but I expect
it is ok.

Richard