Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:28:11 +0100

On Sun, 2013-10-13 at 13:48 -0400, Bric wrote:
> > BTW, Can you confirm that turning off the cursor highlighting
> doesn't
> > speed anything up? I am interested in the speed of operation thing,
> > which I can't easily test myself. It might be useful to turn off the
> > Undo/Redo to see if that affects it. In ancient versions there was a
> lot
> > of recalculating the positions of things in the bar, so, if anything
> > modern versions should be quicker.
>
> Oh my god! Y-y-yes!  You betcha, it speeds things up (why haven't i
> done
> this sooner?)
>
> The easy test for me is going back and forth between [Home] and [End]
> positions.  Also, cursoring forward/back with "Ctrl+[Left/Right]"
> With
> the cursor animated ("highlighted"), I wait several seconds with
> these
> operations, with the staff scrolling sideways in front of me.  With
> the
> cursor highlighting turned off, the (non!)scrolling is instant! I
> love
> it! (it's truly a relief... apologies to the animators... it's a
> clever
> and beautiful idea but it's been slowing me down, at least on this
> system — Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU T5800  @ 2.00GHz, Ubuntu Maverick)

Hmm, I wonder what can be going on here - I'll try to test out on a slow
windows box that I can get to later today. Otherwise I'll have to ask
you to point a camera at the screen and video it!
When you say several seconds, during those several seconds is the
transition effect taking place, e.g. the music sliding sideways, the
cursor rectangle growing smaller? Or is there some delay and then the
transition effect happens in about 0.2 seconds? Well, I'll see if I can
reproduce this for myself.