Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 13:48:07 -0400

On 10/13/2013 12:27 PM, Richard Shann wrote:

<snip>

This design of palettes thing is a one-off activity, so I don't think it
is worth programming. You can assemble exactly the buttons you want in
the places you want them. Es ist genug. (Well, we could have buttons to
the right and buttons to the left ... that would be nice for people who
use buttons).

Well... for the sake of not wasting screen space, where empty space above the working area is displacing your music, making you sacrifice viewability of a whole staff or even two... then, at some point, might be worth tweaking.

I guess you have added Cut & Paste buttons to your own general palette
now? I am not sure I want to promote them until they have been debugged.
Come the next version you will want to move
your .denemo-1.0.9/actions/palettes.xml file into the
new .denemo-xxx/actions directory.

BTW, Can you confirm that turning off the cursor highlighting doesn't
speed anything up? I am interested in the speed of operation thing,
which I can't easily test myself. It might be useful to turn off the
Undo/Redo to see if that affects it. In ancient versions there was a lot
of recalculating the positions of things in the bar, so, if anything
modern versions should be quicker.

Oh my god! Y-y-yes! You betcha, it speeds things up (why haven't i done this sooner?)

The easy test for me is going back and forth between [Home] and [End] positions. Also, cursoring forward/back with "Ctrl+[Left/Right]" With the cursor animated ("highlighted"), I wait several seconds with these operations, with the staff scrolling sideways in front of me. With the cursor highlighting turned off, the (non!)scrolling is instant! I love it! (it's truly a relief... apologies to the animators... it's a clever and beautiful idea but it's been slowing me down, at least on this system — Intel(R) Core 2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, Ubuntu Maverick)