Re: [Denemo-devel] Continuous Integration

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Continuous Integration
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:24:25 +0100

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 00:22 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently discovered continuous integration tools, and this is great!
> The principle is to build a project and run some tests in different
> environments at each commit (continuously). Each build is made from a
> clean new distro image. You prepare some scripts to install the
> dependencies, and some other scripts to build the project and run some
> other tests. Then you can check the result somewhere, on a webpage for
> example.
>
> A lot of services exist: Travis, Jenkins, Wercker etc.
>

> This is great to easily spot regressions on projects that can run on
> several environments, such as denemo.

yes!

> I played a bit with Travis-ci and denemo:
> https://travis-ci.org/azmeuk/denemo . It is synchronized with my
> github account: https://github.com/azmeuk/denemo
>
> For the moment the only test done is compilation,

Well, I see it links too, looking down the log (it seemed to be
compiling with gcc on a Ubuntu system). Does it/can it install and run
on the system too? One problem is that Denemo does not have proper
separation to enable it to run without its GUI (the draw.c in particular
has side effects on the data, this is the reason for the drawing done
with cairo context set to NULL). So running without an actual display
could be problematic.

>  but it is very flexible and it is possible to run some unit tests.
> Unfortunately, there is no test suite in denemo :). However, a good
> non-regression test could be to launch the program, check that
> commands are correctly launched for instance, and close it just after.

It is very easy to write tests nowadays, you can just pass a scheme
script on the command line...

> It works great with gcc and clang, and fails with mingw as I did not
> prepared a good script to run. Jeremiah, if you want to help me there,
> you are welcome :) Your gub fork fail to download ImageMagick.

I didn't delve into what you have done Eloi ... are you using gub?

> The main drawback here is that Travis seem to only works with Github.
> Other repositories are available if you pay. To use continuous
> integration with denemo, it is either needed to use another service or
> copy each revision into a github repository. Create a synchronized
> github clone of the savannah repository can easily be done. Jenkins
> for instance is a free ci system, but to use Jenkins, a dedicated host
> is needed.
>

> Well, I would like to know your thoughts about this. Do you like the
> idea ?

very much.

> Which service do you prefer etc. Should I commit my Travis scripts to
> master if someone is interested ?

are they on a branch at the moment?