Re: [Denemo-devel] duration, rhythm, metronome, etc., for MIDI-input?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] duration, rhythm, metronome, etc., for MIDI-input?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:10:51 +0000

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 06:02 -0500, Bric wrote:
> I am using 1.0.9.  Can one control note duration while entering over
> MIDI-keyboard more easily than by explicitly switching duration with PC
> keyboard, every time note duration should change?
>
> Another way of asking is, can denemo act as a "midi sequencer", where
> you enter notes by actually "performing" them rhythmically, in real
> time, over a metronome pulse, and the sequencer figures out where to
> place each note, and estimates its duration, with respect to the given
> metronome pulse? (I guess with some quantizing happening, at some point,
> eventually)

upgrade to 1.1.2 and see demo https://vimeo.com/81814901 this does not
try to guess the rhythm as you play, but does place the pitches over the
metronome beat. You then enter the rhythmic notation that you want.

> If not, what is the most efficient way to control duration of the
> entered notes, from the midi keyboard?
I use https://vimeo.com/62188678 as you probably know - there are
improvements since then (dotted rhythms and triplets can be entered
without extra-rhythmic key presses and slurs can be entered with the
rhythms now) but it is my preferred route. I cannot play the MIDI
controller accurately enough to make the newer method work, except so
slowly that it takes me longer than the older method.

> Also, tangentially: how does one switch into and out of chord-input
> mode, when using midi keyboard input?  I have accidentally entered that
> mode, but can't figure out how to do that intentionally.
foot pedal on MIDI controller.
the Alt key on the pc-keyboard also does this.

Richard