Re: [Denemo-devel] Default Shortcuts (was Re: Question about developing

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Default Shortcuts (was Re: Question about developing notation software for solfeggio)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:41:20 +0000

On Thu, 2017-02-23 at 12:07 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:

> On 23/02/2017 08:52, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Thu, 2017-02-23 at 06:56 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> >> Why does pending sharp not use +?
> > on the numeric keypad ("Add") it is used for sharpen, with shift
> (Shft
> > +Add) for sharpening the enharmonic range.
> Not even sure I want to know what "sharpening the enharmonic range"
> means!  :-)

you surely do if you have a  MIDI input device - MIDI just sends a note
number, for example, 63 for the note between D and E.
That could be D-sharp or E-flat (or, of course even F-double-flat if we
are being pedantic).
The enharmonic range specifies the outer limits so you know which note
you'll get. Even baroque music will sometimes have both B-flat and
A-sharp in one movement, and so you have to shift the range sharp-wards
or flat-wards accordingly. The range is displayed on the MIDI-in
Controls.