[dev-serveez] sparc32 build

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: [dev-serveez] sparc32 build
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:24:11 +0100 (CET)

hi!

since my sparc32 is happily up and running we had another try to compile
the current cvs serveez with guile 1.3 on that old (redhat) linux.

it works! the sys/resource.h bug was due to /usr/src/linux being some
ancient devel-kernel (2.3.x). i changed it to 2.2.20. btw: 3 hours, 30
minutes to compile linux 2.2.20 on a 25 Mhz sparc :-)

serveez can be compiled and the binary/library work. ela did some tweaking
so that the SMOB things work with the old guile.

however, testing the guile echo server revealed a bug: the
"find-the-scheme-method" magic fails to find methods identified by its
name: "No such procedure". howver, supplying the method itself does
work.

not-working:
(define-servertype! '( ... (detect-proto . echo-detect-proto) ... ))

working:
(define-servertype! `( ... (detect-proto . ,echo-detect-proto) ... ))

we dont know where that comes from yet. mgrabmue: anything obvious?

p.s.: i am currently trying to set up a cross-compilation environment so
that i can create binaries for the sparc on my pc. i have a gcc now, but
it cannot generate binaries yet:
"/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation"
... whatever. funny: ussing -S to optain an assembler file and the "as" to
create the elf binary results in a binary file that looks like a sparc32
executable (file(1) says that) but it cannot be executed... very weird.

if i ever get that to work we perhaps can make serveez
cross-compileable. trying that now would probably fail...

Bye,
    Raimi

--