directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] GNU Radio situation

From: Anonymous
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] GNU Radio situation
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:08:52 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman said:

> I see there is a discussion about supposed nonfree documentation in
> GNU Radio.  But the messages didn't discuss the _facts_ of the case.
> I need to know them.
>
> Could soeone please tell me:
>
> * What documentation (related to GNU Radio) is nonfree?
> * What topic does it cover?

There is lots of documentation on the gnuradio.org website.  I assume
you don't want the whole thing outlined here.  This is a partial
outline of some of the basic documentation (copied from gnuradio.org):

    * What is GNU Radio and why do I want it?
    * Installing GNU Radio
    * How do I use GNU Radio?
      +  Utilities and tools that come with GNU Radio
    * Tutorials
      + Guided Tutorials
      + How to write Python applications
      + A quick guide on doing simulations with GNU Radio
      + How to write an out-of-tree (OOT) module
      + Tutorial on how to configure OOT packages
        to find and link against GNU Radio
    * Frequently Asked Questions

Some tutorials are linked from the landing page, but a majority of it
is in http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/.

> * What is its licensing?

This is at the bottom of the main landing page:

 "Copyright © The GNU Radio Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved."

I could not find any further licensing disclosure on the website.
After solving the initial barrier-to-entry captcha, my navigation
within gnuradio.org was interrupted 3 more times with captchas (that
was in 3 tabs for different gnuradio.org URLs opened at the same time,
so perhaps the 3 are the same blocking instance).

To test whether the site was presenting all the links that might lead
to licensing, I executed the non-free javascript from the
"gnuradio.org" domain only.  At that point tabs were naturally
re-rendered, some of which were replaced with an unsolvable captcha
(specifically, the captcha box said "There was an issue communicating
with the captcha provider. More information may be available below...
Sorry, something went wrong. Please try reloading the page.")

I lost patience at that point.

Note that I had to go against my own morals and expectation of user
freedom just to research your question.  I generally will not
contribute traffic to CloudFlare sites, and refuse to solve most
captchas.

> * How is it related to GNU Radio?
> (Is it included in the GNU Radio tarball?
> Is it in the GNU Radio repository?)

The outline I pasted above is interactive HTML.  There is no HTML in
the tarball.  This document is in the repository, apart from the
tarball:

  grcon13_juha_geophysical_sensing.pdf

The repository with the above PDF and tarballs is cloudflared.  There
is a torrent that would enable users to get an ISO image p2p outside
the cloudflare walled-garden (but the torrent file itself is
cloudflared - I'm not sure if the torrent file has a copy outside of
CloudFlare).

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so my address will be unusable.