directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Threading when posting via remailer (was: Antife

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Threading when posting via remailer (was: Antifeatures: Why GNU Radio needs..)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:36:38 +0000

Nomen Nescio <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Wong said:
>
> > For what it's worth, you can grab the raw mbox files from
> > ftp://lists.gnu.org/directory-discuss to import into your mail
> > client and reply to for a proper In-Reply-To (or References) header
> > necessary for threading.
>
> Yeah, indeed I tried that earlier on.  Tor users who attempt to
> download the mbox get:
>
>   "425 Security: Bad IP connecting."

That is unfortunate, even with passive mode FTP.  Unfortunately
I'm not as familiar with FTP as I am with HTTP.  Maybe the
GNU folks can do something about it, someone could take some
time to setup a mirror, maybe similar to what I did for
address@hidden - https://public-inbox.org/git/

> I was surprised that the threading is correct when the subject line
> matches, and wondered if the mailing list tool is deriving the
> references, or if a moderator was doing some manual labor.

Most software attempts to match threads on subjects,
but I actually have "set strict_threads = yes" in my muttrc
since I prefer exact results rather than guessing.

> > It looks like the HTML source from that link you posted also shows
> > the Message-Id as "X-Message-Id" in the comment, which you can use
> > for the In-Reply-To.  I wish the HTML would show that Message-ID in
> > the rendered page...
>
> Ah, I didn't know the HTML source had it.  I'm trying that for this
> message.  Hopefully the mixmaster network doesn't strip it.  I've
> changed the subject to see how it goes.

Mixmaster didn't strip it, but your Message-ID was missing the
enclosing brackets < > because it was missing from the HTML
source.  "git send-email" automatically adds them, but it looks
like your software did not...