directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Threading when posting via remailer (was: Antife

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Threading when posting via remailer (was: Antifeatures: Why GNU Radio needs..)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 04:22:06 +0000

Eric Wong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Maybe the
> GNU folks can do something about it, someone could take some
> time to setup a mirror

I just went ahead and setup new hidden service mirrors using
public-inbox:

        http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/directory-discuss/
        nntp://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/inbox.comp.fsf.directory-discuss
        nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.fsf.directory-discuss

And I'll heed any calls to take down the service if I'm
violating any terms or policies, too; or I could be encouraged
to expose non-.onion HTTP/HTTPS endpoints.

I am also open to doing it other Free Software-related lists as
time and hardware allows.  This lists currently costs me <10M of
space (~3M for git data, >6M for regeneratable SQLite/Xapian
data)

In the interest of encouraging(*) other people to mirror and
decentralize: I will never guarantee the reliability of any
services I run.  I'm one of the clumsiest sysadmins on the
planet

> Mixmaster didn't strip it, but your Message-ID was missing the
> enclosing brackets < > because it was missing from the HTML
> source.  "git send-email" automatically adds them, but it looks
> like your software did not...

Missing brackets aren't a problem with the public-inbox
search/threading interface, that was inherited from notmuch
logic (C++) translated to Perl.  But I wouldn't rely on it for
the majority of mail software out there.

(*) Relevant notes for anybody else who wants to mirror using
public-inbox.

As with any other mailing list I mirror, all data is gathered
through freely available sources (lists.gnu.org in this case)
and no unreproducible data is added.

# grab the public-inbox code (I'll probably do a tarball release soonish):
git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox

# read INSTALL file for public-inbox, and pod/manpages in
# Documentation/.  Relevant manpages for mirroring:
# - public-inbox-index
# - public-inbox-watch
# - public-inbox-nntpd
# - public-inbox-httpd

# clone the archives:
torsocks git clone --mirror http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/directory-discuss

# optional: enable Xapian search
cd directory-discuss && public-inbox-index

# Relevant config file entries (in git-config parseable format):

==> ~/.public-inbox/config <==
[publicinbox]
        # optional, allows the PSGI (web) UI to link to the newsgroup
        nntpserver = news-example.onion
[publicinboxwatch]
        # optional, add spam checking on top of what lists.gnu.org provides:
        spamcheck = spamc
[publicinboxlearn]
        # optional, trains the optional spam checking below
        watchspam = maildir:/home/user/path/to/Maildir/.INBOX.spam
[publicinbox "directory-discuss"]
        # required entries to for the list address and local
        # filesystem location of the repo:
        address = address@hidden
        mainrepo = /path/to/directory-discuss.git

        # where the PSGI interfaces,
        # Any PSGI/Plack server may be used, but public-inbox-httpd
        # is provided for convenience (and should provide the
        # most consistent performance).
        url = http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/directory-discuss

        # used to register a public-inbox-nntpd
        newsgroup = inbox.comp.fsf.directory-discuss

        # used by the PSGI web interface
        infourl = https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/directory-discuss

        # This maildir is where my MDA (could be procmail or whatever)
        # delivers my mail from directory-discuss to,
        # I do NOT use public-inbox-mda for list mirrors, instead
        # I use public-inbox-watch
        watch = maildir:/home/user/path/to/Maildir/.INBOX.fsfdir
        watchheader = List-Id:<directory-discuss.gnu.org>

        # this removes the Subject: line tags before archival
        filter = PublicInbox::Filter::SubjectTag -tag [directory-discuss]

Feel free to ask at address@hidden if you need
clarification or help with anything.