Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error Running Examples

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error Running Examples
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:16:32 -0700

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 05:44:23PM +0000, Prateek Dayal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed the CVS version of the gnu-radio core and examples. I
> have set the PYTHONPATH to point to python-2.3/site-packages
>
> the stereo_audio_out.py (given in src/python/gnuradio/old/) works, but
> the programs like dial_tone.py do not work .. the error that comes up
> is
>
> address@hidden@PMD audio $ ./dial_tone.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./dial_tone.py", line 40, in ?
>     fg = build_graph ()
>   File "./dial_tone.py", line 33, in build_graph
>     dst = audio.sink (sampling_freq)
> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
>

> I have not installed any mc driver or OSS as I do not need it.

You do need some audio package to use something that does audio
output.  Please install gr-audio-oss and try again.

Hmmm.  I'll fix the audio stub so that it gives a more informative
message than "nothing at all".

> Also where do I need to place my .py programs in the whole directory
> structure so that they work. Is there a need to list something in make
> file and all like the .cc programs for gnuradio 0.9

No.  With 2.x it's very easy to develop new blocks and python code
that live outside of the main code tree.  It's the way all of the
add-in modules were developed.

Your .py files can be anywhere.  Typically they're in the current
directory if you're experimenting.  If PYTHONPATH is set correctly the
gnuradio stuff will be found.

Eric