Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] external clock

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] external clock
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:07:04 +0000

Bdale:

I am using an atom bomb to smash an ant:

I have a PTS-160 synthesizer. It is locked with a rubidium oscillator OR a GPS tamed oscillator. I use the rubidium when I am moving (at W3CCX or in the car or on 10 Ghz cumulative weekends, etc.) Moving GPS sucks for taming an oscillator! I have not yet had time to do all of the necessary evaluation of these approaches. I feed the output to a distro box that has a few outputs and one CAN be the USRP. I have not yet done a thing beyond proving it works. The PTS-160 is a marvel and it has very good phase noise at these frequencies (64 Mhz). With this lashup, I do not have to use the PLL.

PLL's are great, so far as they go. We would have to know a lot more about this particular one before we could say if your idea is a good one or a bad one. How do we ask the right questions? We need to know what the transfer function of the loop filter in the PLL. What you are proposing is commonly used to frequency lock an oscillator but introduces more phase noise (MUCH MORE) than the crystal you are trying to replace. If your system has a certain phase noise at 10 Mhz, you can be certain that it will have many dB more at 64 Mhz. The very best approach for what you are asking is to find a 64 Mhz TC-VCXO and to use your GPS in a system to pull the TC-VCXO on frequency since you are going to have one heck of a time beating the phase noise of the crystal oscillator in TC-VCXO. Phase noise will be a killer deal in your EME applications as you know. You can take TAPR's new Reflock II and tame the oscillator frequency. Valpey-Fischer makes such an oscillator but they do not sell one and do not sample. We would need to come up with a description of what it is we would want to do, get the Reflock II in our hands, tame the TC-VCXO with GPS and then suggest a group buy on these oscillators which will very likely be the best way to go. I have an interest in locking 2 then 4 then . . . USRP's. This will be to build a phased array. I also need to figure out to synchronize the blocks at the sample "name". One step at a time . . .

Bob

Bdale Garbee wrote:

Looking at options for locking all the clocks that are part of the EME
station I'm building to my HP 58503A GPS-synced clock.  Searching the
list archives, I found this note from Matt regarding the external clock
input on the USRP:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2005-03/msg00030.html

Has anyone played with this?
Of particular interest is whether anyone has hacked the FPGA code to use
the internal PLLs to retain a 64 Mhz sample clock using a 10 Mhz
reference clock input to the board.

Bdale