Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] support for comedi?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] support for comedi?
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:59:10 -0700

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 04:45:45AM -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> I just ran into a project called Comedi (www.comedi.org) which seems to
> support, even in RT kernels (or so they claim), a large number of PCI
> data acquisition boards (including the Measurement Computing 4020, which
> also has a separate driver in gnuradio, but I and at least one other
> person I know have had serious stability issues with the driver in the
> gnuradio cvs).

Sorry to hear that.  Patches welcome.

> It probably would not be that hard to add support to gnuradio to have a
> comedilib source which would be able to use all of the hardware that
> they have drivers for. By looking at their API, I can't seem to find a
> good way to just get a data stream from the card in an efficient manner,
> but this was a very cursory look... Anyways, just thought I'd let people
> know it's out there.
>

> Looking over list archives, it seems like this issue has popped up
> over the years, though the last reference to it was about 2 years
> ago
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2003-04/msg00073.html).
> Was the reason it was never done that there wasn't a good way to get a
> stream of data out of the comedi drivers or library?
>
>   -Ilia

Hi Ilia,

Thanks for the reminder about comedi.

Last time I took a good look (a few years ago), there was no
interface that supported streaming data.  It may have changed.
If it doesn't support streaming, it's pretty much a non-starter for
most GNU Radio applications.

Eric