Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition

From: David Bengtson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:44:31 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 04:33:05PM -0700, Matt Ettus wrote:
SDR Forum is running a competition for university teams in software
radio.  There are monetary prizes, and it looks like you get Matlab and
Simulink for free.

In other words, they think software radio is great, as long as
you are beholden to a Big Company with Profits to Protect.

    - Larry
I was just looking at this, intending on posting this. I guess great minds think alike...

Matlab and Simulink are very useful tools. While you are encouraged to use the tools that are provided, they didn't seem to be mandatory.

I have a bigger concern that the contest entry materials become the property of the SDR Forum. If I were a student looking for something to commercialize, that might be a deal breaker right there.

I also think, looking at the sample problems, that they will be lucky to get any entrants at all.
http://www.radiochallenge.org/SampleProblems.html

especially considering the timeframe they are looking for.