Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition

From: ldoolitt
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:24:17 -0700

Friends -

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:14:43PM -0400, David Bengtson wrote:
> A significant amount of my work hours are
> spent staring into
> 1) The Matlab IDE
> 2) Agilent's ADS
> 3) Microsoft Excel
>
> and I'd really like the time to learn Verilog. While Computer algebra
> packages are nice, if you plan on implementing something in hardware,
> you will need something that outputs something that you can build an IC
> from. Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

I have designed, simulated, and implemented a mixed
analog/digital/software system using (Icarus) Verilog
and C.  Attempts by others to accomplish this using
Matlab, Simulink, and all manner of expensive plug-ins
never amounted to much.

Oh, and the initial feasibility check was done with Octave.

> They are going to have to get used to programming something if they
> plan on working as an engineer.

I fully agree.  And I personally have made the choice
to program using tools that I have control over.

        - Larry