Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition (take 2)

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Design Competition (take 2)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:26:43 -0400

> "The SDR Forum intends to seek permission to publish
> proposals, design documents, engineering drawings, source
> code, analyses, and supporting material developed under the
> challenge entires. No materials shall be marked
> `proprietary'."
>
> IMHO tt would be even better if the implied "ownership
> belongs to the creators" were described explicitly, but I can
> abide by it as it stands.  Thanks for making the change! -
> MLD

Academics get a tremendous amount of pressure from software
vendors, to use their stuff, and not their competition.  It
doesn't take much to see that the competition is us.

Part of this pressure comes from book publishers, by including
demo versions of commercial software, refusing to include
free/GPL software, pressuring authors to use commercial
software, not GPL software, etc.

Prepare for the electronics education wiki.  It's coming.

Some other comments from others....
>> I think all of the "Can't get gnuradio-core
>> to compile" emails on this listserv prove the difficulty in
>> working with this project.

Give them a custom Knoppix disk.

Recommend a distribution that includes gnuradio, or has a
package available.  Then you can "apt-get install ... " or
something like that.

>> I can't imagine what would happen if I told them they
>> had to install Linux and the GNU Radio code if they wanted to
>> work on this stuff at home!

Give them a custom Knoppix disk.

It is OK to say they need to install Windows (at a cost of
$???), and spend $100 for an academic copy that will expire
when they graduate, or not work on the new computer they get in
two years?

"Quantian Linux" is a Knoppix variant that has lots of math and
EE software on it.  It's big.  It mostly fills a DVD.

>>> While it is
>>> expensive, there is quite an ecosystem that has developed
>>> around it, something that Octave/Scilab/numPython/etc.
>>> aren't  really able to offer.

Who owns the ecosystem?  A company starts a core, then relies on
a user community to add all kinds of stuff, the true value.
Eventually, the value of the community exceeds the core.  Why
not use a core from the community too?  when the commercial
core is derived from a free/open-source core?

There are plenty of "contests" which are really just ways to
promote a commercial product, and to divert energy away from
their competition (Free/open-source software).

How about a real design project, where you have the students
work on something that gnuradio needs and is missing?  How
about implementing some of the features that octave is missing?
These are projects that will look good on a resume, and be
useful, even if they don't come in first.  "I contributed xxxxx
to the gnuradio project" is a lot more impressive than "My team
entered this contest and didn't win".  I believe that if you
managed to pull it off once, you would find that there is
funding available to do it again.