[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: UC Davis Student interested in GNUradio

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: UC Davis Student interested in GNUradio
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:04:02 -0700

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 01:18:20AM -0700, Newell Jensen wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Sorry to keep bugging you but I was having a problem installing gnuradio
> from cvs and I saw that you were the last one to edit that wiki.

In the future, please post these questions to the discuss-gnuradio list.
I've cc'd the result there.

> I followed the directions as outlined but I was not able to build and this is
> the message that bash gave me:

First off, don't build as root.  This is almost always a bad idea, and
violates the principle of least privilege.

Try again running as your normal user.
The commands it's complaining are missing are almost certainly already
installed on your system.  If not, ensure that automake, autoconf and
libtool are installed, and that they have at least the versions called
out in gnuradio-core/README.

> linux:/home/jensen/gr-build # ./for-all-dirs ../buildit 2>&1 | tee make.log
> ./bootstrap: line 25: aclocal: command not found
> ./bootstrap: line 26: autoconf: command not found
> ./bootstrap: line 27: autoheader: command not found
> ./bootstrap: line 29: automake: command not found
>
> The only part of the directions that confused me was:
>
> sudo -v       # give sudo the password now, so you can
>               # walk away while it builds
>
>               # Now build everything that you checked out
> Now I looked up in the man pages for the -v and how it updates the users
> timestamp so I get that part, but the # following it, I messed around with
> that but didn't get it to work (I tried it without, with, etc).  Hopefully
> you can help me out.  Thanks for your time.

The # foo... is just a comment.  No need to do anything with that.

Eric