[Discuss-gnuradio] About Latency

From: KC Huang
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] About Latency
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:22:40 -0400

Hi all:

I have two questions about Gnuradio latency:

1. In transmit path, the USB delay is constant due to the 32KB buffer
between "signal source output" and "USB". If the sampling rate is 1MS/s and
each sample is complex 16 bits( sample size=4bytes), we can get the USB
latency = 8ms. But how do we estimate the delay of signal processing by
processor and USRP? I think these delays are variable depending on how
complex the signal is and how fast the processor is. But are there any ways
to determine what is the range of these delays?

2. fusb_options define two parameters of "fusb_nblocks" and "fusb_block_size".
This function should be used to decrease the delay of USB. But, if we choose
any value of number of blocks and block size, say, nblock=8 and block_size
=2048, does that mean we need to have larger time to pass through the 8*2048
Bytes packet than the smallest allowed 512 Bytes? So, in this logic, the
latency of usb will increase although the throughput is increased. Am I
correct? If not, what's wrong with my thought?

Thanks for ur reply advance!!

KC Huang