Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on embedded systems

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on embedded systems
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:53:26 -0500

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 05:54:08AM -0500, Philip Balister wrote:

>  The core doesn't have much floating point in it.

What do you mean by core? The gnuradio-core directory src/lib
directory contains directories that contain signal processing code,
such as filter, and a directory , src/runtime, that contains the basic
component "framework" classes that handle block creation and
connection. The code in src/runtime does not appear to have any FPU
dependencies.

It seems that a serious effort to build gnu-radio for a new processor
would involve adding new filters that operate on a fixed point
quantity and optimized for specific instruction sets (ARM dsp
extensions, wMMX, DSP comprocessors, etc).  The turning off
compilation of the floating point structures.

I also see that gnu radio implements each filter several different
ways, depending on the input/output/tap data types. Why doesn't gnu
radio use some kind of adaptive typing so you can have one block
process many data types?

Hopefully this makes sense, I did most of this thinking on the plane
back from FOSDEM with a nasty head cold.

Philip