Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:40:29 -0500

Firas-

> Has anyone tried to run USRP1 without PC?
>
> I have an application where a friend supported me with a standalone USRP
> FPGA image. I used the PC only to load this image to the USRP using gnuradio
> blocks/tools. After that I can plug-off (disconnect) the USB cable from the
> PC and USRP continue to operate standalone.
>
> My question is, has anyone tried to load USRP FPGA image without a PC? For
> example using a micro-controller (Like Microchip PIC 18F4550 which has USB
> 2.0  port) with SD memory holding the image?
>
> What it takes/need  to do so?

Altera and Xilinx FPGAs can boot from a variety of small, cheap Flash devices.
haven't looked at the USRP1 schematic in a while, but my guess is that it would
take
only a few mods to deadbug an appropriate Flash device and jumper as needed.
Looking
at the board, I don't see that Matt has left a place for the typical header
with the
required signals, but there are only a few and they should be available on the
CY7C680 pins.

Programming the Flash device is another question:  one way is a socket on the
USRP1
and a cheap Flash programmer (connect to PC serial port or parallel port).

-Jeff