Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation

From: Martin DvH
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:07:15 +0200

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 23:43 -0700, Firas A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried to run USRP1 without PC?
>
> I have an application where a friend supported me with a standalone USRP
> FPGA image. I used the PC only to load this image to the USRP using gnuradio
> blocks/tools. After that I can plug-off (disconnect) the USB cable from the
> PC and USRP continue to operate standalone.
>
> My question is, has anyone tried to load USRP FPGA image without a PC? For
> example using a micro-controller (Like Microchip PIC 18F4550 which has USB
> 2.0  port) with SD memory holding the image?
>
> What it takes/need  to do so?
What should be possible is to load the FPGA image and/or the FX2 image using
JTAG.
I think I remember that the JTAG lines are accessible on the USRP1.

It might also be possible to use a dedicated serial FPGA eeprom and
connect it directly to the FPGA. This would require hardware
modification of the USRP board.

Just look at the cyclone datasheet and application notes on the altera
site.

I don't know if all the required pins for setting the FPGA load
operation are physically reachable on the USRP1 board.

If you don't want to solder on your board, your only option is using a
USB2 host in some kind of form.

Martin