Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a qu

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a question]
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:26:42 -0500

On 01/20/2011 02:10 PM, Sanjay Singh wrote:
Hi all,

To be specific to concern

   2) Create your own digital/baseband board
> Check out many thesis work who have developed demonstrating platforms. Adding to commercial front, check SP601/605 from Avnet. Check for the prices for sure!. Also check Spartan 3A 1800 DSP from Xilinx.

   3) Write all the software for board in step (2) to control all the
boards you create in step (1)
> Not required. All the development boards are platform specific and the board developer supports BSP(Board support package). If you are building your board, you need to develop your own BSP. All the development board comes with BSP. A mere DMA transfers between PC and board is a 4 weeks of development activity.
So, respectfully, you're full of crap, Sanjay. No "BSP" is going to automatically know how to do all the functions we want to do:

   o Interface with whatever RF hardware is developed above
o Do the required DDC and CIC Decimation, and whatever else *this specific application requires*. o Send data over the host-interface, *in the required formats, using the required protocols*

There's no magic "FPGA Fairy" that somehow intuits exactly what you want your *application* to do, and do it for you,
  whether you use an off-the-shelf FPGA card, or roll your own.

Certainly, a BSP can *help* with basic functionality, and provide libraries to make it easier to integrate your application, whatever that application may be, but the BSP doesn't construct that application all by itself. Some work, quite significant, is required
  to *construct* your own application.

   4) Write all the host side software to interface software written
in step (3) with GNU Radio
> Platform independent drivers already address the issue.
Right. Because Xilinx/Altera/Digilent/whoever has already written drivers to interface to Gnu Radio, but they're selfishly withholding that information from public view? How churlish of them.

   5) Contribute all previous work to GNU Radio
> No one says its personal development after posting at open source community developers

   6) Stop complaining*
> No one complains unless there is deviation against addressed.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator