Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD I/O Data Types

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD I/O Data Types
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:04:09 -0400

You cannot represent a "pure" sinusoid with a real signal. Think e^(jw)
vs Re{e^(jw)} Maybe someone could think of a better way to say this.

All USRP devices input and output complex baseband. You need to
represent your signal in complex baseband. I suggest experimenting by
feeding your signal into the _complex_ fft plotter in grc and see how it
looks spectrally, because thats how your actual spectrum will look when
you transmit, but shifted up by fc Hz.

-Josh

_
One could take that real sinusoid, and translate it into the complex plane with a
  Hilbert transform, and there's a block for doing that.

Although, if this is a pre-recorded signal, one could simply do the Hilbert transform "offline", and have the pre-recorded signal be already transformed into the complex
  plane.

But if Arya is already using a signal-generator block within GRC or C++, they could simply
  use the already-existing complex output type.

The hardware expects signals to be represented in the complex plane, even when there is no negative
  frequency content of said signals.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator