Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio conditional operation

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio conditional operation
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:06:15 -0700

On 04/27/2011 03:00 PM, Vijay Pillai wrote:
> Hi Marcus and the folks at Ettus,
>
> I am an extremely satisfied and happy user of your USRP's. We plan on
> buying a lot more USRP's for our company since it is an outstanding cost
> effective platform for testing and measurements.
>
> However if I have to offer some criticism (and I assure you that this is
> the only complaint that I have amidst all the good things i have to
> say), it is about the threadbare documentation available on getting
> started with doing applications - whether that be for GRC, or python
> programming for the USRP. I had to google the web for some examples and
> this is how I learnt. There has to be a much easier way to getting
> started. The folks at Ettus attribute too much intelligence to the
> average user if this how they expect people to learn; it is actually a
> disservice to Ettus as a company to make it so hard to start using your
> products.
>
> Hope what i have said above does not in any way detract from the overall
> considerably positive feedback that i would like to convey.
>
> Best regards,
> -Vijay

Vijay,

Thank you for both your kind words and for the constructive feedback.  I
agree fully that our documentation certainly could be better.  We have
been trying to remedy that, and I believe that the UHD and basic
hardware documentation is reasonably complete:

        http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/

However, it does not address using GNU Radio with UHD or creating GRC
applications, so this is definitely the next area which we will be
covering.  One other thing in the works is a screencast of creating some
simple applications using GRC.

Thanks,
Matt