Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference documentation to the python interface

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference documentation to the python interface
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:35:15 -0500

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Ben Reynwar <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Ben - Ditto Martin: great stuff!  I think "keep filling in the blanks" is my improvement recommendation :) -- some items contain "This docstring is not useful" or the equivalent, or are just empty (e.g., "gnuradio.optfir.band_pass").  I'm guessing some items are like this because the source code does not contain useful info (yet).  Nice work! - MLD

Yeah, I think in most cases it's because the documentation is missing
in the source code, and fixing that for all of gnuradio is obviously
an undertaking that I am not keen or able to do.  In optfir.bandpass
it is because the documentation is given as a comment rather than a
docstHopefully having the documentation accessible like this will help
us spot where documentation needs work.

Hey Ben,
Since you're having more luck with Sphinx than we have in the past with Doxygen for the Python documentation, I'd say we're ok changing the documentation markup to make it more friendly with Sphinx. I think you're right that a lot of the empty documentation here is due to the formatting of the documentation in the Python files (as well as an absence in some instances).

Have you been able to fully automate the process? I think that's really key to the success. We don't want any manual effort to have to go into building these.

When you've got it working and everything, we can then update the documentation on the Wiki for how to document the Python code so that it works nicely with this.

Thanks!
Tom