Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] messages get lost randomly

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] messages get lost randomly
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:44:38 +0100

On 02/22/2014 12:40 AM, Miklos Maroti wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Ok, I have found out how to make it work reliably. You must register a
> listener with set_msg_handler, and then you will get the missing
> messages there.
>
> In light of this, I do not see how pdu_to_tagged_stream could work
> reliably. It does not register a listener (but it does not block
> either), so if there is a gap in the message stream, then it will miss
> that message.
>
> Miklos

Miklos,

that is right--a thorough discussion of message passing is high on our
agenda at the moment. pdu_to_tagged_stream is a bit of a special case,
since the only thing to do with a rx'd message is to put it onto the
output buffer, which is only available in work(), i.e., if we had a msg
handler, all it could do is re-buffer the msg before we can copy it into
the output buffer. One thing we did very recently was increase the size
of the msg q, so msg loss would be less likely.

MB