Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failure of sending square wave over USRPs (back-t

From: Activecat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failure of sending square wave over USRPs (back-to-back)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:56:44 +0800

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Sylvain Munaut <address@hidden> wrote:
>> There are no documentation of what SBX performs on incoming or
>> outgoing signals.  https://www.ettus.com/product/details/SBX
>
> IMHO Ettus is among the brands where there is the _least_ surprises
> just because the exact schematic is published, you can see _exactly_
> what the SBX does to your signal ...

Let's see yourself at
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/public/documents
This is the link referred by
http://www.ettus.com/kb/detail/frequently-asked-questions

This link leads to ---->  "The page you were trying to access doesn't
exist or has been removed" !

>> If Ettus support personnel doesn't clear things up, the Ettus products
>> continue to remain mystery to many newcomers.
>
> Just a thought, but have you considered that "newcomers" aren't the
> target audience ?

"Newcomers" refer to those who purchase Ettus products for the first time.
Sadly they are not given appropriate attention even through they are
consumers of Ettus.

> SDR has "radio" in it, and to use them properly you kind of need an
> understanding of how radio works. Ettus isn't here to teach you the
> fundamentals of RF, Radios, DSP, SDR, ... you're supposed to learn
> those by yourself beforehand.

I do not expect Ettus to teach me the fundamentals, but to clarify
fundamental details with Ettus support personnel who seem to confuse
with RF fundamentals.

You may refer to previous conversations.  Do you agree with him that a
simple quadrature downconverter doesn't need to care about clock drift
because it just "simply downconverter and nothing more"?