Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cross compile GNURadio on ARM in Odroid XU3

From: West, Nathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cross compile GNURadio on ARM in Odroid XU3
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:04:36 -0400

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 2:00 AM, shaunwang <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Nathan

Firstly I am really grateful for your long suggestions. I am very surprised
to spend so much time writing this for me.

Secondly, I already tried building GNU Radio natively in Odroid xu3 and
Hummingboard. They both took long time to build. And I always meet some
bugs, but I fixed them. Building GNU Radio on Hummingboard is definitely a
pain.

I want to concentrate on cross compile now even I have native compile
option. I am reading Open Embedded website now, OE layer does not support
Odroid XU3 layer. 1>What do you mean for "add support"? 2>I am going to try
Tom's rootfs and chroot once I understand it. 3> Is this the website you are
talking about for cross compile with OE
https://github.com/balister/meta-sdr/wiki/CrossCompile.
the first three steps are
1)Build the cross toolchain with OpenEmbedded:
bitbake -c populate_sdk gnuradio-dev-image

2)Find the sdk:
$ ls tmp-eglibc/deploy/sdk/
oecore-x86_64-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-nodistro.0.sh

3)Install the sdk:
'$ sudo sh
tmp-eglibc/deploy/sdk/oecore-x86_64-armv7a-vfp-neon-toolchain-nodistro.0.sh`

But the problem is that this SDK file is for Zynq chip.
http://gnuradio.org/data/sdk/zedboard_armv7a-sf-vfp-neon/

Do you have any idea how to build SDK for ARMV7L which is used in Odroid
xu3?

According to my understand of reading in GNURadio website, it seems the
number 3) way is the same way as get an SDK for my distribution. I read from
this website https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/OE_PyBOMBS
>From what you said, it seems I can either combine OE and SDK to do cross
compile or JUST use SDK for my distribution. I have not found any resource
for the later option. Since you said the later option is unknown and hard, I
will save this for later.

I am going to try the Tom's rootfs way and OE SDK way firstly, I will keep
posting my questions, thank you so much for your time and help. I am super
grateful!

Shaun

OK, I know a little bit more about what your goals are now. I suggest you find a distribution which supports your board and packages recent versions of GNU Radio. Since others have pointed out Arch Linux that is a good one to try. The official Arch Linux page should help you get that installed on your board: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/samsung/odroid-xu3

After your board boots up you should be able to install GNU Radio from an Arch Linux provided binary (see: https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ODroid)

If you are working on an OOT module and will actually be compiling code there are some tricks you can pull:
1) On your host PC install a gcc that can target armv7
2) Either copy the filesystem from ODROID to a folder on your host OR mount your root (/) directory of target on host PC somehwere
3) Use the filesystem from 2 as -sysroot for cross compiling your OOT modules. You'll need to work on your environment (setting CC and CXX).

Nathan