Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building with cmake

From: Robert Durkacz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building with cmake
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:40:41 +1000

Marcus Leech writes "When a project blooms in portability, size,
dependencies, and "reach", the use of a meta-make scheme of some sort
actually makes those kinds of project practical."

Certainly gnuradio is not too large a project to maintain by the make
utility. I hope Marcus will confirm that for the benefit of people who
never use make directly. It is for reasons of portability that you
need a 'meta-make', right? A meta-make is something that generates a
make system or ideally might translate one from one environment to
another. If I follow Marcus, a meta-make should leave a decent make
system behind and you do not expect it to leave lots of traces of
itself behind like cmake does.

I hope to spend some time on gnuradio and the next thing I will do is
put a simple build system in place for my own use. I don't see a
problem. SDR is the main aim but I am interested in cooperating with
anyone who wants to get the most out of make.