Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation of gr-video-sdl for GNU Radio Compan

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation of gr-video-sdl for GNU Radio Companion 3.7.10git-31-gb17bcb88
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 09:56:58 -0500

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello/Happy New Year!

I'm in need of using my USRP to receive NTSC (Analog TV). I installed gnuradio via pybombs and I noticed that under /target/share/gnuradio/examples/uhd there is a python script called usrp_tv_rcv.py however when running the script I get the message "gr-video-sdl" is not installed I can also see this in the code when doing an import.  Using pybombs I confirmed this is not installed. I did read older messages but cannot get a sense of how to install this. It is under /pybombs/src/gnuradio... but being a newbie I'm stuck as to what to do next. Any help would be appreciated and any comments as to using usrp_tv_rcv to receive analog TV are also welcome.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Currently, PyBOMBS doesn't support installing gr-video-sdl itself. It's a fairly obscure package (in GR terms) and rarely used. Basically, you'll need to install libsdl1.2-dev (I think that should be all), but there's no PyBOMBS recipe for this.

For your case, I would just install this package by hand through your package manager, then clean the PyBOMBS installation of gnuradio and try again. With the libsdl1.2-dev installed, GNU Radio should pick up on it and build gr-video-sdl for you.

In Debian/Ubuntu, just use:
$ sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

Tom