Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Docker] New GNU Radio images with GUI support

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Docker] New GNU Radio images with GUI support
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 08:38:18 -0700

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Stefan Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

Regarding running the GUI: In the readme I've included the commands for
X forwarding (that's your approach). Works fine on my machine! The VNC
approach targets especially windows users.

I've had success running GRC and QT-based GNU Radio applications using several different display techniques from inside Docker containers (on Linux).

- Volume mapping the local /tmp/.X11-unix into the container, setting DISPLAY to unix$DISPLAY, and allowing access through xhost. This only works on your local machine.

- Using --net host and -e DISPLAY when launching the container.  This is useful when you are remotely ssh'd into a host and have X forwarding, so the container will use the tunneled X server back at your local machine.

- Using xfvb and x11vnc to allow display access via VNC.  This is the most flexible but slowest.

Johnathan