[Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 Transmitter in X310s

From: Abhinav Jadon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 Transmitter in X310s
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 03:59:56 +0530

Hi,
My setup consists of two X310s - one transmitter and one receiver - connected with SMA cable.
The receiver code has been independently tested by capturing the AP packets.
The transmitter code was tested in a software loopback with the receiver.
The gains on both sides were adjusted such that  there was no clipping.
attenuator (-10db) were used to connect the two USRPs over SMA link.

The transmitter transmits the packet but at the receiver end, these packets are not successfully decoded. A deeper look reveals that for a high correlation value (0.8) , packets are being detected by the packet detection mechanism but the signal field is decoded wrongly in all the packets detected. . Since unit testing of every block was successful, it was my hypothesis that the source of error lies on the transmitter-hardware side.

I began scraping thorough the mail archives and got hold of this :
http://lists.ettus.com/pipermail/usrp-users_lists.ettus.com/2015-September/015576.html

This thread details on the problem related to burst transmissions in X310. Apparently, the successive bursts are not same - the end of first burst is appended to the second burst.

I don't have the hardware to verify the claim, but assuming that it is correct. It still doesn't explain the wrong decoding of the signal field.

What am I missing ?

Abhinav PS  Jadon
2012122
Electronics and Communication Engineering Undergraduate
IIIT - Delhi